Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 June 2011

The One with the Ma'asalama Party!




After the turmoil of the emotional breakdown, the divine moment and the strength and power of my friends, the party was back on!

But only because of three of my very dear friends who must take credit - Erika, Farah and Sadia. Knowing they were there by my side to help deal with this made me strong enough to go through with it. Not without a little (correction - a lot) of anxiety!!!

I had already planned what to do when, what, how, where and why, in true Ellie style! So putting it together wouldn't be a problem!

Erika gave a heartfelt speech to the staff at school (although in their defence - re my previous post) a lot of them, were equally as upset not to have the party and to have had so much upset caused!

So lots of cooking on Wednesday evening and up at 5am on Thursday - I hadn't really been able to sleep all week anyway! I finished off the food I had to do and then it was time for decorations.

We had planned a street party - something different with BBQ's on the go and a general happy feel.

The decorations proved somewhat tricky and through stress and sheer frustration nearly ended up in divorce!!!!! But then don’t all parties?? With the slight wind ripping a lot of them so much time was spent on rescuing them id didn’t get to do all the decorations I had planned in my mind! But Jason and William saved the day and painstakingly repaired the ones that were up. As well as collecting tables, chairs and BBQ's from everyone!

Now the nerves were really setting in.

I had my bath with the kids and started to get ready. Time was running out and so many thoughts were running through my mind! Would people come? What would people think? Would it rain?

A few deep breathes and a set of curling irons later, I was ready and so was the family. In true Erika fashion she arrived to keep the Lloyd family under control! And with a few last minute things to do, guests started to arrive and Erika played the wonderful role of hostess for us. A massive weight off my mind!

We had a wonderful turnout. Some of which I will mention here!

Graces teacher, Suneetha, came - much to my surprise and even more to Grace's surprise!!! She was over the moon!!! So excited and so, so happy that this lovely lady who she adores had come to see her!!! Magical!!!!!


Afaf, the Arabic teacher came - this was a huge compliment. This lady has a family and works fulltime and has to travel, the very fact she took the time to come here for us was incredibly flattering and I was truly touched!

Lots of Jason's pupils came, some with their parents, the respect that they showed for him was beautiful to see. It must have been a huge compliment to him and areal confidence booster in the job he does.

Some of the children's friends came with their parents - this was particularly lovely, because it is not like in the UK where you meet the parents at the school gates, we are all so separated from each other in this place. So it was great to see them and spend time with them.


The teachers from Iskan 2 were here in strong force!!! To trusty 6, the ones who have always to come to everything we have done with such enthusiasm - Erika, Narien, Phil, Patricia, William and Deema - I can always rely on those guys to show their support.

My other friends from here, Farah, Sadia and Hina - all here and much to Hina's surprise that the street party was a great idea. That meant a lot!

The support staff from the school, Corrine and Joan - again this was fantastic; they have to travel in to come to such an event. And Azzar and her family, who are always wonderful to see - especially that Azza always infectiously laughs at my jokes making me feel like a million dollars!!

There were other people too, and to each and every one of you I was truly touched that you came, we all were!!!


The whole evening was so much fun. Especially the confetti cannons that I couldn’t set off. Did anyone rush to help?? No it was far too hilarious to take pictures!!! Much to my delight it took Jason and one of his students some brute force to get them open!!! But when they did the kids LOVED it!!!



Narien gave a speech, of which choked us both with such emotion! She has a wonderful ability to make a person feel so special. A gift I feel blessed by.

After the sunset and food people began to make their way home. Farah, Imran, William and Erika all helped with the mass cleanup operation and once the kids were in bed we had chance to sit and reflect.

It was a wonderful party, spent with beautiful people. I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

I thank everyone who was there, I thank everyone who made it happen and to you all, you have made a special impact on our lives and we shall treasure that gift wherever our travels take us. You are all incredible and special people who have touched our lives in many ways. May you all be blessed with happiness.



2 comments:

  1. Man, I love a good party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks should be from our side! it was great fun! and a lot of people have borrowed the idea of street party right after you left ;-) you're a trend setter! <3

    ReplyDelete